Monday, September 28, 2009

The Miraculous Noni

Okay, let's get one thing straight right off the bat.  Noni smells like shit!  The locals call it butt fruit, with a sense of endearment of course.   It is also known as cheese fruit due to the obvious fact that it smells like blue cheese.  Of course, fine cheeses we often expect to emit odd, and sometimes altogether abrasive, scents.  But to me (and I'm assuming you too) fruits are associated with being refreshing, sweet, tart and/or juicy.  This is NOT what you expect from noni.

Here is a list of adjectives I would use to describe a ripe noni:
1) putrid
2) squishy
3) foul
4) fetid
5) translucent
6) ocular  
7) offensive
8) noxious


Many of you reading this blog probably have never heard of noni before unless you have spent significant time in the tropics.  The tree is most commonly grown in the Pacific (Tahiti specifically) but is produced in most places within the tropics including: Central America, the Caribbean and the Indian subcontinent.  I find this hard to accept but the noni tree is in same family (Rubiaceae) as my beloved coffee tree.  Unfortunately it is also extraordinarily prolific, reaching maturity within 18 months and yielding 10 - 20 lbs. of fruit per month all year around.

Now that I've clearly expressed my feelings regarding noni, I'll elaborate on the positives.  Noni fruit is lauded by many on the island (and worldwide) to have countless medicinal qualities.  

I'm not saying, "Oh, the noni fruit is so high in nutrients."  I'm saying, "People believe noni can cure cancer!!"  Literally, scientist have explored (unsuccessfully) using noni as a possible cure for cancer.

Beside that point noni is quite phenomenal.  I have experience using mashed noni as a topical ointment.  On my flight to the islands I was drinking water from a nalgene bottle that hadn't been washed since my last camping trip, big mistake.  As Casteel will remember I got poison ivy on my face after our trip to Bienville National Forest.  Well, it happened again.  I've now discovered that the oils were on the nalgene.  Unfortunate?? Yes.  I am extremely allergic to poison ivy.  But thanks to the noni ointment my poison ivy only lasted a few days.  And let me tell you, putting something so smelly on your face is not pleasant!  

I am convinced that it's not so far fetched to claim noni is a possible cure all for infections, rashes,  UTI's, nausea, cramps, and other general health problems.  Native Hawaiians have been using the fruit as traditional medicine for centuries.  Even ancient peoples thought that something so awful smelling could surely kill any evil spirits causing you harm!!  The same goes for contemporary society, with all the miracles of modern medicine nothing can take care of bacteria better than the repugnant, miraculous NONI!! 



























1 comment:

  1. butt fruit lolol. ooooh nooooo! not poison ivy on the face?! that sucks. bring me some noni in case i run into any evil spirits!

    ReplyDelete